Advent Project 2016
St. Catherine of Siena Parish
Day by Day Warming Shelter
449 High Ave., Oshkosh WI 54901
Last Date to Donate - Friday January 6, 2017
The mission of Day By Day Warming Shelter is to provide safe temporary shelter, food and supportive services for adults.
We advocate for collaborative, locally driven solutions for those experiencing homelessness in our community.
Located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Day By Day Warming Shelter serves guests from mid-October to mid-April. Guests must be at least 18 years of age and able to complete in the intake process.
Last year, Day By Day Warming Shelter served 123 unique individuals, provided 3,891 nights of shelter, and served 7,684 warm meals.
Understanding that the causes of homelessness are unique to each person, there is not one “type” of guest we serve. Among the people who walked through our doors last year:
- 83% male, 17% female
- 11% report past military service (veterans)
- 19% are living with mental illness
- 12% are struggling with alcohol or drug abuse
- 21% report a physical disability
- 20% report a past incidence of domestic violence
Day By Day Warming Shelter operates during Wisconsin's cold winter months (mid-October to mid-April). Doors open nightly at 6:00 PM. Guests are admitted on a first-come, first-serve basis (25 bed capacity). All guests are required to check-in by 6:45 PM.
How can I help?
- Catherine of Siena parishioners will find an envelope for monetary contributions for the Advent Project in their regular envelope packets. A regular envelope can be used indicating that your gift is for the Advent Project. Checks should be made out to the parish.
- Boxes will be available in the entrance to both Churches for the donation of other items.
- Antibacterial wipes
- Hand soap
- Large bar soap
- Small Kleenex packs
- Women's hair brushes
- Men's combs
- Sleeping bags
- Adult Winter gloves
- Knit hats
- Hand and foot warmers
- juice boxes
- fruit cups/applesauce
- granola/breakfast bars
- Twin-size Sheet sets (one fitted, one flat with pillowcase)
- Garbage Bags
- Gift cards for Hardees, Subway or Burger King
Day By Day Warming Shelter has a 25 bed capacity. Some evenings, we have to turn guests away when we have already reached capacity. On these evenings, we like to give each guest a blanket or sleeping bag and a gift card for a local fast food restaurant.
Because we ask our meal volunteers to prepare food for 25-30 people, we cannot allow additional guests to eat and leave for the night. The gift cards ensure that those turned away will be able to eat a warm evening meal.
Keep Someone warm this Winter!
Give to our Advent Project!
Thank you from St. Catherine of Siena Human Concerns Committee
222 E Blossom St (BLM)
415 E Fond du Lac St (FDL)
St Ann Chapel 218 E Blossom St
Sunday 8 am (FDL)
Sunday 10 am (BLM)
Organist needed to work with an accomplished group of musicians with the parish community of St. Catherine of Siena, Ripon. Organ and/or Piano skills needed. Vocal skills are a plus. Previous experience accompanying a congregation required.
One to two Masses per weekend and occasional funeral work. Compensation is on a per Mass basis. Inquiries can be made to Fr. Robert Fictum at the link below
Mon 8 - noon & 1:00-3:00
Tues 8 - noon & 1:00-3:00
Wed 8 - noon & 1:00-3:00
Thurs 8 - noon
Fri 8 - noon
What's Happening with the Archdiocesan Synod at St. Catherine's
Look under the "News" tab to see the most current info.
Return to the Upper Room
Catholic Online Resources
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops :: www.usccb.org
- Archdiocese of Milwaukee :: www.archmil.org
- Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity :: http://fscc-calledtobe.org
- The Vatican Website :: w2.vatican.va
- My Catholic Faith Delivered :: www.mycatholicfaithdelivered.com
- Theology of the Body for Teens :: www.tobforteens.com
- Catholic Answers :: www.catholic.com
- Fish Eaters Catholic Forum :: www.fisheaters.com